Friday, December 3, 2010

Counter Narrative Text

     Originally, I had a hard time coming up with a concept for my text. I knew I wanted to modernize a story because I thought it would be more interesting and relatable for students. Initially, I considered modernizing beauty and the beast, but I realized its been done before. I tried to think of other Disney films based on books because those are the stories I remember most. After doing a little search on Disney films, I came across Sleeping Beauty. Sleeping Beauty, like other Disney films, was based on a book, initially written in France. I decided to use Sleeping Beauty because I loved watching it as a child. It was the typical story of a handsome young man coming to the rescue of a beautiful princess.
     In order to create an alternative text to Sleeping Beauty, I decided to change the roles: the man was going to be sleeping and the woman was going to be the hero. I did this because I wanted to show how most women today no longer fit into the stereotypical roles. Instead of the man sleeping, I made him frozen and incorporated a little Beauty and the Beast into the story by making him loose his looks. I wanted to keep the story in a palace so I decided to do a search of current monarchies and discovered Belgium still has a King. Since wheels and thimbles are no longer in abundance in palaces, I tried to think of a current device which could cause the same curiosity to touch it and thought of a cell phone. People can live without cell phones, but they are innately curious about them.
     Like Sleeping Beauty, I had the boy cursed by a servant and had him be frozen for years. I incorporated other modern devices into my story, like the computer. In the end had the Prince woken up by a beautiful girl.
   I guess my story can be viewed as a happy ending with a small warning: be careful to not become enveloped with modern devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment